The Latest From the Oregon Truffle Festival
White Truffle Risotto Croquettes with Oregon Dungeness Crab
Serves two appetizer portions. From John Newman, Newmans at 988
- 1 t olive oil
- 1 t chopped garlic
- 1 t chopped shallot
- 2 oz arborio rice
- 6 oz water
- 6 oz dry white wine
- 1 T shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 oz fresh dungeness crab meat
- 1 gram Oregon White Truffle shavings & pieces
- 1 t chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 4 oz all purpose flour
- 4 oz egg wash
- 4 oz panko bread crumbs
- oil for frying the croquettes
- Saute shallots and garlic in olive oil for 30 seconds, add arborio rice, add 1/3 of the water and wine and cook until liquid is almost evaporated. Add second round of 1/3 water and 1/3 wine and cook until almost evaporated. Add last 1/3 of water and wine and cook until rice is still a bit “al dente”. It should look very creamy and smooth. Remove from heat & add Parmesan, dungeness crab, truffles, parsley, salt and pepper and stir until incorporated.
- Set aside and cool to room temp.
- When rice has cooled to room temp, using a small scoop, scoop out small rounds of rice and roll into balls. Bread them using the flour, egg wash and panko bread crumbs. First the flour, then the egg wash, then the bread crumbs. If the rice is too dry, it won’t stick together. Add a little water to moisten it if needed.
- Deep fry croquettes until golden brown. 350 degrees for approximately 1 minute.
- Finish croquettes with a sprinkling of Parmesan and a white truffle shaving.